People who know us personally know that the things we really love are creative cooking, enjoying good food and experiencing new recipies and ingredients. Some now might ask themselves whether this passion can go along with overland travel or whether we have to live on canned food on the road just like "backpack tourists".
Of course for our travels we have chosen a really good equipment to be able to cook tasty and varied food everywhere we go.
- A two flame Coleman Stove - running on petrol, because you can get it everywhere, it is cheap and effective and will also provide enough heat even in moist or cold climate or in great heights ... The handling, though, might be something you have to get used to. For the Coleman, we also have the Coleman Oven and a Toaster.
- A Petromax Dutch Oven (also called "Potje"), which can be put directly into the fire to cook a vast number of great dishes, ranging from pizza to rolls (here you can find a recipy for rolls we made traveling to the Carpathian Mountains) and to veggie casserole or roast venison.
- A Petromax Pan, which can be used on the stove or directly over a fire.
- A Petromax Firebox, which provides a hearth fuelled by small branches of wood.
- A Petromax Hobo, which is so small that you can take it with you on hikes to make a tea, coffee or a soup.
We love a tea in the morning (and in our midday break, and ...), so we always have our East-Frisian teapot with us whereever we go (it actually was a wedding present) and also take along our beloved East-Frisian tea (Thiele Broken Silver of course!). Water we boil either in the Primus Kettle on the Coleman or using the Petromax Firekettle powered by small pieces of wood, leaves, bark et cetera (here is our review of the Petromax Firekettle).
Trying to find a good set of pots and pans was a long and tiring process. Finally, after a lot of trial and error (and costs!), we decided on a Pot & Pan Set by the Italian company Brunner - being inspired by Swiss friends who used the same set. In these pots it is no problem at all to cook rice pudding, make wonderful breakfast pancakes and so on.
In the following weeks we every now and then plan to publish reviews on some of our cooking gear and also maybe share some recipies we cook with this gear.